Fall Garden Planning

I know it's time to get geared up to put in my fall garden, but honestly, it's been 100 degrees or above for 28 days & counting! When will this irrepressible heat subside? But alas, fall is coming & it is time to plan & a girl like me couldn't be happier! :-)

Time to do what I do, buy plants & look at my gardening books over & over before going to sleep. So is the life of a gardening fanatic in Houston. I never met a plant I didn't like!

So...what will I be planting this year? Hmmm, I think a few fall tomato plants would be nice. I'd like one of them to be a pear tomato, as I've had good luck with them before. Broccoli, cabbage, carrots, kale & mustard greens are on the list for this year as well. Can't wait to hit the gardening centers to get my new crop!

First things first, I've got to turn the soil in my raised bed and add some compost to it. I've noticed that last year & this year, my harvest hasn't been the greatest. I know the drought didn't help this year, but I know it's time to nourish the soil also.

I can't wait to open up the doors on my compost bin to take a look at my new batch of black gold, my homemade compost! I'm pretty excited about that growing trash pile in my back yard. Until this year, I've only dabbled with composting, but in the spring, our local Sam's Club featured compost bins! Oh the joy!! I texted every fellow gardening friend I knew & grabbed mine before they were gone (In my mind, everyone in the store had been waiting all their lives for a compost bin, so I knew I'd better act fast). Well fortunately, I didn't have to elbow anybody for it, so my membership is still in good standing.

Well now I'm dreaming about getting out there & getting at it. I will be back soon with details about my fall garden.

Good day & good gardening,

Janice

Comments

Popular Posts