Beet up Your Garden This Winter


 beetsbanner
beet saladIn my opinion beets are an underrated vegetable. Until recently my only introduction to beets had been plain old pickled beets, which I loved, but with which I had gotten a little bored. A few years ago a friend of mine turned me on to roasted beets and I’ve been in beet heaven ever since! Just chop cleaned beets with skin on, for extra nutrients; season with salt, pepper & garlic; drizzle with olive oil & roast uncovered on 375 until tender. For an extra treat, chop an onion in large pieces to roast with the beets. They are delicious when prepared this way! Roasted beets pair well with goat and feta cheeses in salads or as a spread. An extra treat from growing your own beets is that you can eat the greens they produce. Toss them in a salad or do a quick sauté and you can double the value of this nutritious veggie.

Grow When the Time is Right

Have I convinced you to grow beets yet? Well if I have, here’s how. Beets are a cool weather crop which can be planted here in early fall or towards the end of winter. This means our next window for planting will be late December – mid January. This gives you time to go out and find some really cool seed varieties.


Read more.



Comments

Popular Posts