Skip to main content

Observing and Photographing Your Garden


iStock_000051999260_Large
 
 
iStock_000027225634_LargeAs the winter sets in you may be tempted to forget about the garden. But as the cool weather settles, don’t forget to peek out the window from time to time to notice what your garden is doing during this time of year. This is especially important if you’ve recently moved into a pre-owned home because it’s a good idea to watch your landscape to see what happens through a complete cycle of seasons. And along with your observations, you may want to take a little time to photograph & observe your garden before you dig into the soil to do something new.
 

I’ve found that photographing my garden has been one of the most helpful things I’ve done over the years. I purchased a pre-owned home which had quite a few plants & bushes put in by the previous owners. To be honest, I wasn’t crazy about the previous owners’ taste in gardening, so I wanted to get busy personalizing my garden right away. However, I moved into my home in September of that year, figured it wasn’t the right time do any planting, so decided to wait until spring. I was too inexperienced to know fall is a great gardening season in Houston! My inexperience turned out to be a stroke of luck because that gave me a few seasons to watch the garden. I noticed what died back & returned in spring, what popped up out of nowhere & what looked good during each season. To my surprise, in March a batch of gorgeous hot pink gladiolas came up in a spot I thought was empty. I took pictures of them because I didn’t know what they were, as they are smaller than most glads. The next year my picture came in handy, because the glads had disappeared & I couldn’t quite remember where they were.

Take note that flowers that come from bulbs often die back completely during two-three seasons, making them completely unseen until they pop up in late winter or early spring. Bulbs such as irises, narcissus or gladiolas can easily be dug up by accident if you don’t know they are there, as almost happened to me in the scenario above.
iStock_000000465905_Large
My garden changes a bit every year. I plant something new, move a plant from here to there or test plants die. The pictures help me remember where things that die back are planted, so I won’t disturb them in their off season. They also help me see what does well through the seasons so I can determine what to plant in volume. Most of all photos help me keep a journal of how my garden progresses & changes over the years. It’s fun on cold winter days to look back over the years to see how things have changed. But the most fun for me is having my photos on my phone, so that I can whip them out for bragging purposes at the mere mention of gardening!

See full article with tips

Comments

Popular Posts