Planning My Fall Garden Part II: Crop Rotation

Last week I talked a little about what I'd like to plant in my fall garden and how I plan to amend the soil in my current vegetable plot. I've also been thinking about adding a second vegetable plot so that I can rotate my crops. I know that part of the reason my veggies did not do as well this year is because I've been planting the same things in the same location for a few years. New gardeners, this is a big NO, NO! I know better, but honestly I have been a little lazy the last couple of years, that coupled with the memory of hauling all those cinder blocks myself for my current plot, made me decide to push the envelope a bit. Oh, & did I mention, I hauled every cinder block BY MYSELF, EVERY ONE. I digress.
Well, I stopped by Lowe's nursery the other day, just to look (yeah, right!). I noticed they had raised bed planters like the one's I've been eyeing in catalogs & dreaming about for the last few years. I think I may just have to give one of those a new home in my yard. This will make my addition to my garden a snap!
There was one with two levels. This may be just what I need to solve my herb garden dilemma. For years I've had a most beautiful & impressive herb garden right outside my kitchen window, right outside my back door. Oh so convenient for cooking! Not even a robe needed to harvest the freshest of herbs. As is so common in life, all good things must come to an end. I had some work done to the house & the workers did not love my herbs as much as I! Before I could get more herbs established, the four o'clocks which were the original inhabitants of that bed, decided this was their opportunity to regain their territory! Well, they've been so pretty & smell so heavenly when I step out my back door, how can I oust them from their home? Maybe there will be a win-win for both the four o'clocks & me! That second level on the raised bed kit may make the perfect herb garden! This will also give me an excuse to buy a bigger raised bed kit. Hey, I live in Texas, bigger is always better in Texas!
After Monday's lunch which included store-bought (I cringe in shame) squash & onions (one of my favorites), I'm dreaming of a greater squash harvest next year. This year my squash were off to a super start- gorgeous- when the dreaded squash vine borers attacked & took them out. Since I didn't plant squash last year, I forgot that they took out my last crop. Darn! Miss pulling out my garden journal one time & there you go. Anyway, the borers had burrowed into the ground as they do & were just waiting on the next squash crop. Well, they won't get next year's crop because I've got a little trick up my sleeve. I'm moving my crop to the new bed for a few years. I'll also pick up some row cover so that I can get an early late winter start & protect tender vines from adult borers. Let 'em find it now! Oh, the sweet taste of revenge! I can hear them now, "Where are those tasty squash vines our parents told us about last year? We're starving!" Too cruel? Well, serves 'em right. I'll teach those little buggers to mess with my squash. I suppose I should stop here before I get a reputation as an angry blogger. :-)
Let's recap today's tips.
  1. When planning a vegetable garden, consider using two beds to allow for crop rotation.
  2. Check out raised bed kits at your local garden center or if you have a little help, use cinder blocks or garden pavers to create raised beds. Raised beds are a must for Houston gardens.

Here's a picture of the raised bed kit I'm considering purchasing.


Here's a picture of my current raised bed shortly after I started it.


Make it a great gardening day!

Comments

Popular Posts