Skip to main content

Freezing Temperatures



bigstock-Long-icicles-hanging-from-ice--77756201
 
 
 
 
 
Freezing temperatures aren’t something we have to worry about often on the Gulf Coast, but late January and early February are traditionally times when we may have a significant freeze or two. So let’s talk a bit about what to do for a hard freeze. Keep in mind most action is only needed for a hard freeze, If temperatures are only going to get to or under 32 degrees for a couple of hours or so, save yourself the hassle. Also, most perennial non-tropicals can take a bit of a freeze with no problem, especially if their roots are moist, which brings me to my first tip.
  • Water and mulch plant roots well before a predicted freeze.
bigstock-Gardening-With-Red-Mulch-7894760


bigstock-Rose-Covered-With-Hoarfrost-78859553I admit it. I’m not a coverer. There, I have said it on the web, so now there is no going back. I try to plant things that are hardy and I use my leaves from the tree in my front yard as natural winter mulch. They are not that pretty, but they work. I crunch them up a bit by stepping on them or mulching them a bit with the mower. This helps them to lay flatter, so the wind won’t get under them & blow them around. You can also wet them. So if we have a nice wet winter like we’ve been having this year, that’s where my freeze preparation generally stops. Now all that being said, there are times when a freeze can be particularly more damaging. Those are the late season freezes like we had in March of 2014. The problem here is if we have had a mild winter, things are beginning to leaf out again by March and a freeze can really do damage to young shoots. So by all means, cover for a late season frost and for those of you who cannot rest easy if you do not cover now, here are a few more tips.
 
Read more
 

Comments

Popular Posts