Skip to main content

Using Journaling to Plan for Your Garden



Facebook
I pulled out my old garden journal today to show a friend how my garden has evolved through the years and it reminded me of how useful journaling your garden can be. Garden journaling can be done in many ways: just pictures, just logs of what’s growing and how it’s growing, diagrams of plantings, or a combination of any of these.
As your garden bounces back from the recent freezes, now is a good time to take stock of it through journaling to set some goals for the year. While branches are still relatively bare you can really get a good look at the structure of your garden. And because it’s been fairly warm the last few weeks, plants that died back completely to the ground are starting to come back from the root now, so you can get a pretty good idea of what survived and what didn’t.
If you don’t have a garden yet, starting a garden journal is a great way to help you plan one. I found my first journal in a discount store when I was thinking about starting a garden and it became my catalyst and best friend. So, look around in the stores or check online for that perfect journal. There are also tons of templates you can print to design your own.
To get a good idea of what you need to do this year, it may be helpful to look at your garden as a series of sections. Take your garden journal and camera out and move from section to section to answer the following:

Read more.

Comments

Popular Posts